Thursday, February 6, 2014

Round robin



Today I set the desks into groups of four for a round robin activity for solving multi-step equations.  I have name cards in red (pink), yellow, and green on each desk.  If the kids needed help with a question they put up the red card, yellow if they are still working, but would like for me to check behind them, and the popular green "I've got this".  Each student received 8 different problems and they only did a part of solving the equations, so they were in groups, but they couldn't cheat and everyone had a role.  I learned some things today from the activity.  For example, they need a checklist on each problem, so they know what they are doing next when they receive the next sheet. 


(Excuse the messy desk)

Each child had a different colored pencil, so I could grade the accordingly and quickly find who was still lost. 

Next, we played one-step equation bingo, this can be found here.  The kids thought it was a fun day, instead they solved 5 math equations in one class period!  They did great!

No comments:

Post a Comment