Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Do you move on?

We are currently working on systems of equations with of inequalities. Here is the link for the foldable above.  Today as a teacher I feel a bit defeated and wanted some insight from other teachers. My students today acted as though they could not graph a linear equation. As if we have not spent the past for months doing all things linear!  Geez. Yes there were a few that made me relieved to see that I did in fact teach.  But I found it completely irritating that they could not graph. So I asked my colleagues how their kids did and the reply was the same. The kids acted like they could not graph, so they have moved on. I feel stubborn, but I am giving it until the end of the week. I feel like factoring and linear equations are 90% of algebra and if a child has not mastered these 2 concepts that they are not ready to move on or I have failed somewhere along the way.  So here is my question, would you move on or keep pushing?

My final class made me feel even worse when I asked a child to tell me if the angles or sides were marked on the picture and they told me angles on a SSS congruent triangle. All I did was ask her to get out her notes and she had to hold back the tears. I was probably closer to tears after feeling more like an entertainer than a teacher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment